Dr. Wallace Wrightwood: I'm gonna say this once. 'Gonna say it simple. And I hope to God for your sakes you all listen. There are no Abominable Snowmen. There are so Sasquatches. There are no Big Feet! [the family begins to giggle. Unbeknownst to Wrightwood, Harry is standing right behind him] Dr. Wallace Wrightwood: Am I missing something?

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Farewell, The Cat's Meow

As I previously posted, The Cat's Meow, a Portland landmark for over 23 years is shutting its doors. Today I made my final trip to The Cat's Meow, to say good-bye and also take advantage of the going-out-of-business discount.

I first stumbled upon The Cat's Meow during the summer of 2007. I had just moved to Portland (for the first time) and was spending 99% of my time studying for the Oregon Bar Exam. While I was studying I decided that if the whole "law thing" didn't work out, I would open a store called "The Cat's Meow" and sell cat toys, food, and cat-themed merchandise for cat enthusiasts like myself. One evening I visited the Hawthorne Avenue neighborhood for the first time and I saw it: The Cat's Meow: a corner building with cats and yarn painted on the side. Inside the store the displays were filled with cat toys, food, and cat-themed merchandise for cat enthusiasts like myself. I couldn't believe it.

In February 2008 I moved to Portland (a second time) and settled in the Hawthorne neighborhood. I frequented The Cat's Meow whenever I needed treats or toys or food. For a short period, The Cat's Meow even sold dog stuff.

Before today I had never visited a store that was on the verge of no longer existing. Everything is for sale: fixtures, display cases, rugs, everything. It is like going to a funeral, but at the funeral they let everyone pick over the items that belonged to the person who died.

With a heavy heart I made my last purchase: a candle, a toy, a mug, a rug, a basket, some cards, and some reindeer antlers for Wink and Sheba. It all came to $30.

In the end, neither the "law thing" nor The Cat's Meow worked out...and only one of those things I am sad about.

Farewell and Thank You, The Cat's Meow!

No comments:

Post a Comment