Dr. Wallace Wrightwood: I'm gonna say this once. 'Gonna say it simple. And I hope to God for your sakes you all listen. There are no Abominable Snowmen. There are so Sasquatches. There are no Big Feet! [the family begins to giggle. Unbeknownst to Wrightwood, Harry is standing right behind him] Dr. Wallace Wrightwood: Am I missing something?

Saturday, February 7, 2009

don't be evil

I just Googled myself.

There, two full pages of search results of myself. Mostly insignificant hits at first glance, but look closer and see there, in all its digital glory, an abbreviated list of my life events over the last decade.

Disappointments, like my first law firm job. Proud moments, like law school graduation and an internship with a Congressman. 5K races I'd ran and a field trip from college. Someone else's Facebook profile. This blog. All there on Google.

I am not any sort of public figure, nor have I published anything or really done anything to warrant a hit on a search engine. But somehow, Google, and anyone who searches for my name, knows what time I ran the 5K in at the Clive Running Festival in 2006. Or how much I was paid to intern for a Congressman in 2003. Neither of which is private information of course, but it is a bit unnerving that an average person like myself can find these things with a simple web search.

It's also super convenient when filling out, say, a job application. Then I wish Google had more information of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment